Life As A Massage Student

Thursday, February 27, 2014



First of all, huge apology for not writing in more then a week! But I can explain...I'm a Massage Therapy student.

Last week was reading week (a week off school - a College and University students "March Break") so naturally you'd think that I would have tons and tons of time to blog! Instead I had a really nasty cold that just completely drained me, and I had to study for four exams that I had this week.

Being a Massage student is very rewarding because every night we have a student clinic where the public comes in and gets a massage for $30.00 - it is so great to have clients come in with some sort of pain and for us to be able to help them and relieve that pain in an hour and a half massage. Pretty great if you ask me!

The workload of being a MT student is pretty high - I can honestly say I don't remember the last time where I didn't have anything to study for. We just about always have exams, quizzes, or OSCE exams. OSCE exams are our practical exams where we go into our classroom with just a teacher as an examiner, a teacher as a client, and ourselves. We get handed a piece of paper explaining why our client came in - we have one minute to memorize this paper. Then we have 12 minutes to assess our client from the small information given, do several Orthopedic Tests, palpate their muscles of the area they came in complaining about and tell our examiner their attachment points. (ex: if they came in with sore low back pain, we then have to tell our examiner all the muscles within the low back). Now typed out it may not sound like much, but keep in mind we have twelve minutes to say all this! It is such a short amount of time when you're put under stress, you're shaking in your running shoes from nerves, and you may forget something because of how stressed/nervous you are!

Luckily, I completed one yesterday where my client had low back pain with sharp shooting pain that ended up being a disc herniation. Now on Friday I have one more OSCE midterm exam about treating a client with a specific case (ex: frozen shoulder, tendinitis, subluxation/dislocation, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, and many more!) and then I have 4 days where I don't need to study until my next exam!

There are many positives and negatives about being a Massage Therapy student, but it will definitely be a very rewarding job and I'm looking forward to graduating next year!

Again, so sorry for my absence on kyrasbeautybag and I hope you're all having a great week!

---- twitter: @kyrasbeautybag
---- instagram: kyrasbeautybag
---- BLOGLOVIN'

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by PIXELZINE